Iyad Atuan investing insight Headline Animator

Wednesday, August 23, 2006

A day in the poker life of EVH (that's me)

I came back from work tired and smelling like burnt plastic. I ate a delicious salad, watched some TV and then jumped on my leather chair, grabbed my wireless keyboard and logged in at Full Contact Poker. I entered a low stake Pot limit ring game (0.25+0.25 PL), the table was full of lose aggressive players, it took me 30 bucks to find that out but I decided to stay at that table because I knew how to get my money back. I switched my game from passive to aggressive almost every 5 minutes, I was calling pockets and raising with suited connectors and my raising was inconsistent so they were lost. Of course I was playing regular poker with absolutely no bluff with the couple of amateurs at the table.

After 30 minutes I knocked out 3 guys and crippled the ex-chip leader with quads I got at the flop. I just let them raise and re-raise into themselves while I was partying it on my chair and seen that pot getting bigger and bigger. At the river one guy went all in and then the other two followed suit. There was 2 full houses, one Ace high flush and my dear quads. I made enough money to enter the high stake tournament I wanted to play.

After 7 minutes in the game, I was short stacked, i went all in with pocket tens and someone rivered me L , I finished 7th (it was a single table tournament). With the left over from my previous winning I went to some ring games, after 20 minutes I made a fat profit. When I decided to leave, I saw these entire 2-people table, so I entered one just to watch. Before I entered I was expecting to watch professionals playing for that much money (2,000+) but I was surprised that they had no clue how to play.

So I decided to try it out. I entered a table where my opponent had five folds my stack but I was confident I would get the money. I start using my strategy for showdowns in tournaments which is ALWAYS RAISE NO MATTER WHAT YOU HAVE AND LET THEM FOLD LIKE LITTLE GIRLS. When he noticed what I was doing it was too late, we were almost equal in chips. I was temped to leave with the profit but I knew so much about his game that I wanted to stick around a bit.

I was fishing a lot…I mean I was fishing every single hand. My opponent had no clue what were hand and pot odds; he wasn’t betting enough and he would fold whenever I show I have even a pair. Finally he took his money back with a K high straight while I had the 10 high straight L . But I was confident I would get it back. I forgot about the lose and I went back to my game but this time he believed I was on a tilt so he was calling more of my raises. Thanks to that and a pocket 8s I made a nice profit before he left the table. Too bad.

I was ready to leave the table when a guy came in with 60 bucks (i had 500+). I said to myself ‘ok one more hand.’ – I got a pocket jacks…NICE :) the flop was A 7 9[all hearts], he was first, he bet $1, I raised to $5 and he calls, the turn was a 5, he checks and I bet $5 and he calls. By this time I put him on a straight draw. Next card is a J, he goes all-in and I sit there for a second analyzing the game. I had a feeling he had nothing, he was on a draw and he didn’t make it.

Let’s analyse this

Common card were A795J

He could beat me with KQ, AA, KK & 87 however, I WASN’T FEELING IT, so I called and it turned out he had QT, what a moron :)

No comments: